Monday 14 April 2014

A Week to a New You: Day One

I am a sucker for a quick fix. Three day diet for a bikini body? I’m there. Fluent French in 30 days? I have the book and somewhere, unopened of course, a DVD. Miracle hair growth and shiny skin in a small one-a-day tablet? I will take one box, no, two. But with Holy Week, one is offered a whole new proposition. In the space of one calendar week, Jesus changed everything, and in a similar way he can do the same to us.

Cool, Chic and in Christ has been a bit underground because, truth be told I have been a little preoccupied with the things I would like to change pronto and the situations I wish were different.  I am an expert in raking over all of my mistakes, and those I perceive of others and trying to cobble together a rationale for why the situation is so. I daresay, or rather hope, otherwise this is the part this post gets several shades of awkward, that I am not alone in this particular spiritual malaise. Like the peeps back in the original Palm Sunday; I am a good one to proclaim things in the moment, and then get thoroughly disheartened when the ‘next chapter’ was not as I had written it in my head.

So, what to do then? Well, keeping with my quick fix nature, and the transformative nature of Holy Week, I am going to focus on the 7 sayings of Jesus  from the Passion and to make it fun and interactive, please add your takes on the comments box or on the fb page or on twitter. Let the miracles commence!

“Father, forgive them, for they do not know what they are doing.” Luke 23:34

Spoken of the soldiers just as they were about to cast lots for Jesus’ clothes whilst he still hung on the cross this sentence tells of just how central forgiveness is to a transformative life. We all, at some point or another do not know what we are doing and in the process end up doing something crap. It is at this point that we need God’s forgiveness granted to us. However, this is not a self-flagellation exercise; we also need to learn to forgive ourselves when we mess up. To not replay the mistake in our head to the extent that the past encroaches on the present and in the process one misses out on the life God has planned for us, because we’re still busy replaying whichever incident, marks us out as beyond redemption. Secondly, if we have truly signed up for the Christo walk, we need to practice the art of forgiving. And boy, it is an art. It requires more than just a verbal proclamation, like an artist, we need to paint over the transgressions and not dwell on the sketch of what have might have been. A little empathy also helps. Look at the activity from the one you’re seeking to forgive’s perspective. Usually, when one does, it isn’t as black and white as it was on the cross.

And whilst forgiveness doesn’t always conclude in Hollywood endings; with tears through joy reconciliations and an orchestra playing to crescendo as the camera pans out to take in the whole scene, it does make us a teeny-tiny step closer to God. It allows us all to go beyond our own mini crucifixion moment, and look to the life to come, one even more glorious than the pretty amazing one we are in now.  


Six days, and counting…


No comments:

Post a Comment