Tuesday 24 July 2012

Bible? Check. Tent? Check. Taittinger? Absolutely!

Today is a big day, not for any of the more obvious reasons (Olympic fever anyone?), but because I am going on my very first church camping holiday. Typing that sentence alone feels pretty weird, after all, spending a week in a tent has never been top of the charts for me in terms of a relaxing pursuit, and juxtaposing it after a frankly amazing holiday in Pariis seems all the more strange if I allow my normal way of thinking to take route. But what is the point of spiritual discipline if you do not occasionally stretch the imagination and go out into your comfort zone? So I am off, to HTB Focus which is being held in Lincolnshire to hopefully have some life affirming and life changing experiences. In my head I am imagining a sort of Glastonbury without the illicit activities but with music and the general poso vibe that seems to come when thousands of people enthusiastically gather for an event. As a novice to all this I have made sure my rucksack is stuffed with the following Christo Chick girl essentials:
  1. Bible - well it is a church holiday! I am opting for a rather natty travel sized NIV. The translation is easy to follow, has some, though of course not all of the lyricism of the King James edition and as it is a slimfit copy can fit into a side pocket rather easily.
  2. The tent. Possibly the single most daunting prospect of the holiday. I have no idea how to put it up, but my sister, a camping veteran who has lent it to me has assured me it is easy to do and is spacious to boot. Let's hope this house gets built on the rock, rather than the sand eh? Prayers from readers gratefully received.
  3. Clothes. Quite tricky, especially with variable weather and constrained conditions. It's a church do, so perhaps not the best time to rock the cut to I don't know where denims, but style will not be compromised. The Mexican silver cross is a week essential,and a ton of layered t's. This will not be my sartorial high water mark, but that's not the point is it? And I am sure there is a verse in Luke 9:3 where we are encouraged to take nothing at all for journeys. Oops, I cheated a bit. 
  4. Champagne. What else better expresses the overflow and the extravagant love the Father has for us than some booze from Reims? And before anyone tuts, the first sign in John's gospel was the wedding at Cana. I am opting for Taittinger this time round as it works particularly well with food. I can just see it now, a simple campfire meal of sardines and tomatoes, washed down with serious bubbles...
In the spirit of taking this time of contemplation, prayer and worship seriously, I shall be pretty much offline until my return..see you all the other side!

No comments:

Post a Comment